Are you tired of feeling self-conscious about your smile? Invisalign is a revolutionary orthodontic treatment that can help you achieve a perfect smile without the discomfort and unsightly appearance of traditional metal braces. In this guide, we’ll explore why Invisalign is the best orthodontic treatment available, how it works, and how to optimize your results.
The History of Invisalign
The Invisalign braces have been around for about two decades. As the story goes, a Stanford University graduate who also happened to be a brace wearer came up with the idea to create a braces system that was less noticeable. Zia Chishti felt that since the average time of wearing braces is about two years, there had to be a way to make them less noticeable during that period.
Zia Chishti enlisted a friend and fellow Stanford graduate to help him design a system that would straighten teeth without the stigma of metal wiring. It is important to mention neither one of these men were orthodontists, but they knew they were on to something.
They enlisted the help of Stanford graduate students that had access to design software and, after about a year of development, they came up with a usable product. They gathered investors and launched their idea trying to sell it to orthodontists.
In 2000, they took their product directly to the consumer via a $31 million dollar campaign. That same year about 70% of orthodontists signed up for training in this new technology. Over the past 20 years or so, Align Technolgy’s product, Invisalign, has helped over two million people reach their smile goals with confidence.
How is Invisalign so Effective?
Invisalign is a highly effective orthodontic treatment that uses clear aligners to gently shift your teeth into the desired position. Unlike traditional braces, which use metal brackets and wires, Invisalign aligners are virtually invisible and can be easily removed for eating, drinking, and brushing. Invisalign aligners are custom-made to fit your unique smile, ensuring optimal results.
Invisalign uses a series of clear, removable aligners that are worn over your teeth for a specified period of time. Each aligner is slightly different from the last, which gradually moves your teeth into their desired position.
How Does Invisalign Scanning Work?
Invisalign treatment uses digital scanning to capture a 360-degree image of your teeth. Lasers and optical scanning techniques are used for this, and the results are converted into image files. The scanning process is painless and takes only a few minutes. Following that, the aligners are made to fit your teeth. The aligners are transparent and made of a flexible material that allows them to move with your teeth.
The digital scanner only takes a fraction of the time of traditional scanning methods. In the traditional method, a mold is used to measure your teeth. With Invisalign treatment, a wand is waved over your teeth to capture a digital image of them. The scan results are quickly available and can be sent to the Invisalign provider. Following that, you’ll have the customized aligners delivered in less than 4 weeks.
How to Get Optimal Results with Invisalign
If you are considering Invisalign, there are a few things you can do to ensure optimal results:
- Be sure to choose a qualified Invisalign provider. Your provider will create a personalized treatment plan for you and monitor your progress throughout treatment.
- Wear your aligners as directed and follow your orthodontist’s instructions and attend all scheduled appointments.
- Follow your provider’s instructions for brushing and flossing. This will help to keep your teeth and gums healthy during treatment.
- Avoid eating sticky or hard foods that could damage your aligners and use the provided cleaning system to keep your aligners clean and clear
- Be patient. Invisalign treatment can take several months to complete. However, the results are worth it!
The Great Braces Debate: Traditional Metal or Invisalign?
When it comes to orthodontic treatment, there are two main options to choose from: traditional metal braces and Invisalign clear aligners. Each option has its pros and cons, and the decision of which to choose ultimately depends on your individual needs and preferences.
Traditional Metal Braces
Traditional metal braces are the most common type of orthodontic treatment, and they have been used for decades to correct a wide range of orthodontic issues. Here are some of the pros and cons of traditional metal braces:
- Effective: Traditional metal braces are highly effective in treating a wide range of orthodontic issues, including crowded teeth, crooked teeth, and bite problems.
- Durable: Metal braces are made of high-quality materials that can withstand the wear and tear of daily life.
- Affordable: Metal braces are typically less expensive than other orthodontic options, making them a great choice for budget-conscious patients.
- Can be personalized: Patients can choose from a wide range of colored elastics to personalize their braces.
- Noticeable: Traditional metal braces are noticeable and can affect the appearance of your smile.
- Discomfort: Metal braces can cause discomfort and irritation, especially during the first few days after they are placed or adjusted.
- Difficult to clean: Metal braces can make it difficult to clean your teeth and gums, which can increase the risk of tooth decay and gum disease.
- Dietary restrictions: Patients with metal braces must avoid certain foods, such as hard or sticky foods, which can damage the braces or get stuck in them.
Invisalign Clear Aligners
Invisalign clear aligners are a newer alternative to traditional metal braces, and they have become increasingly popular in recent years. Here are some of the pros and cons of Invisalign clear aligners:
- Virtually invisible: Invisalign clear aligners are virtually invisible and do not affect the appearance of your smile.
- Removable: Invisalign aligners are removable, making it easy to eat, drink, and brush your teeth.
- Comfortable: Invisalign aligners are made of smooth, comfortable materials that do not irritate your mouth.
- No dietary restrictions: Patients with Invisalign aligners can eat whatever they like.
- Limited effectiveness: Invisalign aligners are not as effective as metal braces in treating certain orthodontic issues, such as severe bite problems.
- Requires discipline: Patients must wear Invisalign aligners for at least 22 hours per day and must switch to a new set of aligners every few weeks.
- More expensive: Invisalign aligners are typically more expensive than traditional metal braces.
- Can be lost or damaged: Invisalign aligners can be lost or damaged if not properly cared for.
So, which option is right for you? Ultimately, the decision of whether to choose traditional metal braces or Invisalign clear aligners depends on your individual needs and preferences. If you have severe orthodontic issues or are on a tight budget, metal braces may be the best choice for you. If you want a virtually invisible, comfortable option that allows you to eat whatever you like, Invisalign aligners may be the right choice.
No matter which option you choose, it’s important to work with an experienced orthodontist who can help you achieve the smile you’ve always wanted.
Can Invisalign Fix Multiple Issues?
If you have multiple dental issues such as crooked teeth, gaps, or overbites, you may be wondering if Invisalign is a suitable treatment option for you. The short answer is yes, Invisalign can fix multiple issues.
Invisalign is a very versatile treatment that can address a range of dental issues, including:
- Crooked Teeth – If you have crooked teeth, Invisalign can straighten them over time. The aligners will gently apply pressure to shift the teeth into their proper positions.
- Overbite or Underbite – Invisalign can also fix overbites and underbites. The aligners will apply pressure to the teeth and gradually move them into the correct alignment.
- Gaps between Teeth – Invisalign can close gaps between teeth by moving them closer together. This can improve your bite and give you a more aesthetically pleasing smile.
- Crossbite – Invisalign can fix a crossbite, which occurs when some of the upper teeth are positioned inside the lower teeth. The aligners will apply pressure to the teeth and move them into the proper alignment.
Why Invisalign is Perfect for Both Teens and Adults
If you’re in need of teeth alignment, Invisalign for adults is a great option for adults and teens. According to the American Orthodontic Association, about 10 million teens, use Invisalign to improve their smiles. Invisalign is the perfect orthodontic treatment for both teens and adults for several reasons:
Advantages of Invisalign for Teens
- Improved Self-Esteem: One of the biggest advantages of Invisalign for teens is that it can help improve their self-esteem. Traditional braces can be unsightly and can make teens feel self-conscious. Invisalign aligners are clear and virtually invisible, making them a great choice for teens who want to improve their smile without drawing attention to their treatment.
- No Food Restrictions: With traditional braces, there are many foods that you cannot eat, such as sticky or hard foods that can damage the brackets and wires. Invisalign aligners are removable, so there are no food restrictions. Teens can eat whatever they want and simply remove their aligners before eating.
- Easy to Clean: Traditional braces can be difficult to clean, and food can get stuck in the brackets and wires. Invisalign aligners are easy to clean and can be removed for brushing and flossing.
Advantages of Invisalign for Adults
- Discreet Treatment: Many adults are hesitant to get braces because they are concerned about their appearance. Invisalign aligners are clear and virtually invisible, making them a great choice for adults who want to improve their smile without drawing attention to their treatment.
- Convenient: Invisalign treatment requires fewer visits to the orthodontist than traditional braces. This makes it a great choice for busy adults who do not have the time for frequent appointments.
- Comfortable: Traditional braces can be uncomfortable, and the brackets and wires can irritate the mouth. Invisalign aligners are made from smooth plastic, making them comfortable to wear.
A beautiful smile can have a significant impact on your self-esteem and confidence. Invisalign aligners can help improve the appearance of your smile, leading to increased self-esteem and confidence. Invisalign is option for both teens and adults who are looking to improve their professional appearance or social life.
What Are the Disadvantages of Invisalign?
Invisalign is a popular orthodontic treatment that uses clear, removable aligners to straighten teeth. While Invisalign has many advantages over traditional braces, it does have some disadvantages.
- Cost: Some dental insurance companies may not cover Invisalign which can make it more expensive than traditional braces.
- Discipline: Invisalign requires discipline and commitment from the patient. Aligners must be worn for at least 22 hours a day and removed only for eating, brushing, and flossing. Patients who do not comply with these requirements may experience slower or less effective results.
- Treatment Time: Invisalign treatment may take longer than traditional braces. Depending on the severity of the case, treatment can take anywhere from 6 to 18 months, or longer.
- Limited Effectiveness: Invisalign may not be as effective as traditional braces for certain orthodontic issues. For example, severe overbites or underbites may require more extensive orthodontic treatment.
- Speech Impediments: Some patients may experience speech impediments while wearing Invisalign aligners, especially during the first few days of treatment. This is due to the adjustment of the mouth to the aligners.
- Discomfort: Invisalign aligners may cause discomfort, especially during the first few days of treatment. Patients may experience soreness or pressure as their teeth shift into alignment.
- Maintenance: Invisalign aligners require maintenance and cleaning. Patients must brush and floss their teeth regularly to prevent decay and maintain good oral health.
Invisalign Cost: What to Expect
According to Humana, the cost of Invisalign treatment can range from $1,800-$9,500 and varies depending on several factors, including the severity of your orthodontic issues, the length of your treatment, and your location.
David Ross Orthodontics offers customizable, interest-free financing plans for Invisalign with payments as low as $129/month.
If your case is relatively simple and requires minor adjustments, the cost may be on the lower end of the range. However, if your case is more complex and requires significant tooth movement, the cost may be on the higher end of the range. Your orthodontist can provide you with a more accurate estimate based on your specific needs.
It is also worth noting that many insurance plans now cover at least part of the cost of Invisalign treatment. You should check with your insurance provider to determine your coverage and any limitations or restrictions.
In addition, many orthodontists offer financing options to help make Invisalign treatment more affordable. These may include monthly payment plans or third-party financing programs.
When considering the cost of Invisalign treatment, it is important to remember that it is an investment in your oral health and overall well-being. Straightening your teeth with Invisalign can improve your bite, make it easier to maintain good oral hygiene, and enhance your confidence and self-esteem.
Overall, the cost of Invisalign treatment may seem daunting at first, but with the help of insurance and financing options, it can be more manageable. Talk to your orthodontist to determine the best treatment plan for you and to discuss any questions or concerns about the cost of Invisalign.
Ready to Start With Invisalign?
Invisalign is a highly effective orthodontic treatment that can help you achieve a perfect smile without the discomfort and unsightly appearance of traditional metal braces. Invisalign aligners are virtually invisible, easy to clean and maintain, and offer numerous benefits over traditional braces.
If you’re interested in learning more about getting Invisalign, contact our office today and schedule your free orthodontic consultation!